Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Aesthetic Fetish

This is a rant.

If you have ever been on the "about" page, you will know that I have very clearly pre-stated that I often rant.  this is one of those occurrences. It's entirely random and unrelated to any recent activity in my life. Honestly, in the purest form of the phrase, "I'm just saying."

Is it me, or have we all caught onto a bad case of the decoration-syndrome. We decorate and prettify absolutely everything. Designer, this, bespoke that. You can hardly find an unmanicured, not-so-handcrafted toothbrush. The combination of Pinterest and broody-fever has got me under the "It's so fluffy I could die!" spell.

Take for instance the previously functional grocery shopping bag. This simple invention has gone from basic sack to designer affair with an environmental spin. Proof that our generation is absolutely aesthetic inane! We ad "designer" to everything. Of course if I started the ALL-BRAND-EVERYTHING rant we'd never leave here. We are obsessed my friends. Sometimes, a toothbrush needn't be fabulous...it just needs to work.

I'm not saying this is a particularly new practice, what with the Victorian era's overly decorative and ornate existence. I'm just saying...don't we need to draw the line somewhere?

Anyhow, I hope you've enjoyed my rant. I have. Have a look at a few snaps of the O.T.T phenomenon.

#TTFN

Garbage Bags

Tea

Cupcakes

Toothbrush

Scissors 
Cigars



No comments:

Post a Comment