Monday, October 22, 2012

TEDx Soweto 2012

I really don't even know where to start with this post - my goodness! What a lovely eye-opening, heart-stretching, mind-numbing, thought-provoking experience.

Having seen the international talks from the TED platform, when I found out we were getting even a slither of the same thing in our backyard, I nearly fell over myself trying to contain my excitement. 

TedxSoweto is one of thousands of locally organized TED supported conversation aiming to spread the   ideas that matter worldwide. The talks feature innovative forward thinkers from varied disciplines - tech, language, art, architecture, social culture etcetera. It's about building a culture problem solvers and innovators that can present solutions to some of the most complex social issues both locally and globally and as such bridging the wealth divide to eradicate poverty.

I know this all sounds very la-di-da, but it really is responsibility of the youth of a given time to champion the innovation and revolution of their time. Ted is one of the few platforms that encourage that. 

Throughout the day there were a number of speakers shook my very insides - bidding questions I have often shied away from or palmed off as someone else's jurisdiction. Attending the talk reminded me that the time is always now, the person is always me. 

I won't go into an in-depth break-down of all the talks, I'm sure  they'll have videos up on the site soon. I'll just share some pics with a couple of short descriptions on the caption and one or two of my favorite quotes for the day.

"A great country is built on literature and art, not Hennesy." - Malo8

"An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea who's time has come. - Victor Hugo 

"Africa doesn't need handouts, what Africa needs is innovation. Africa needs I.C.T - Innovation, creativity and talent." - Yaron Assabi

"People look at preservation in a backward looking light. That's not how I see preservation. When we were growing up we used to create a walking path in the grass, and to preserve it we would have to keep walking along that same path. It's the same with preserving our languages and ideas, we must come up with a solution path and be the champions that keep walking it to keep it alive." - Phiway Mbuyazi

"We will tell the world how to see our Soweto" - I See a Different You

PICTURES***


Architect Denver Hendricks - Energy conservation and new ideas on efficient energy use within home structures.  
A very different view on food consumption - Miche Fabre Lewin, an Artist-cuisniere, Culinary Activist. "We must stop being food consumers and become food citizens." 

Some clothing on sale from Thesis - Spotted an item or two I must get.

Phiway Mbuyazi, Mother tongue evangelist and one of my favorite speakers for the day. "Mother tongue education can help close the wealth gap." 

The Girls :) Mukondi, Nwabisa, Zintle and Cassandra... Not such a good pic though.




Lively performance by Durban Hip-Hop group BIG FKN GUN


The goose that lays the golden eggs :) haha I See A Different You in all their splendor. Innocent Mukheli, Vuyo Mpantsha and Justice Mukheli.

"Soweto is our love - we wanted to share that with the world" - I See A Different You's Vuyo Mpantsha

A spirit awakening performance by world renowned drummer Tlale Makhene



Love&Light.





No comments:

Post a Comment